Saturday, February 4, 2017

Personal Care Products

1. Old Spice Men's Fresher Collection Body Wash:

According to the Safe Cosmetics Database, this body wash is considered a moderate hazard, with a ranking of 5. Of the ingredients that are of primary concerns as health hazards, Fragrance and Methylisothiazolinone are the most hazardous.

The ingredient Fragrance is essentially a concoction of various, undisclosed scent chemicals, which have been associated with allergic reactions, dermatitis, respiratory distress, and negative effects on the reproductive system.  According to the Safe Cosmetics Database, Fragrance is a high health hazard.

The ingredient Methylisothiazolinone is a preservative which can cause allergic reations, and has been associated with neurotoxicity, in some studies. According to the Safe Cosmetics Database, this ingredient has a high health hazard rating.

How I respond to this Information:

Since this product appears to be considered a moderate health hazard, I am considering changing to a new product. In particular, I am interested in looking at alternative products, which do not contain "fragrance".

2. Suave Professionals Moisturizing Shampoo:

According to the Safe Cosmetics Database, this shampoo is considered to be a moderate hazard. Fragrance, DMDM Hydantoin, and Methylisothiazolinone are the ingredients of this shampoo that are considered hazardous. DMDM Hydantoin is considered a high health hazard by the Safe Cosmetics Database. It is otherwise known as a Formaldehyde Releaser, which acts as a preservative.

How I respond to this Information:

Again, I am now concerned about the ingredient, fragrance, and am interested in looking at alternative products which do not contain fragrance. This may require spending more money on organic products, however, the benefits would be improve health and reduce risk of toxic exposure.

Questions:

What I am surprised about?

I am surprised that these products, which are widely used and accessible, contain any ingredients which are well-know to be dangerous for human use. Also, I am surprised the FDA has not restricted companies from using ingredients in their products which they know to be harmful to public health. It appears evident to me that there is a gap between what companies produce, and the what the FDA give approval to.

Will I change the use of these products for myself?

The information has definitely informed me that these products can be potentially harmful to me, and has inspired me to make myself more informed of the products which I use. However, it has not entirely convinced me to stop using these products, only to do more research on the subject, before deciding if I should continue using these products or not.

Should Everyone Know about these Risk?

Yes, of course.

What primarily concerns me is that these products are typically more affordable and accessible to the larger public than organic products. The organic products will typically avoid using materials which are harmful to people, but often are inaccessible and not affordable to the general public. Therefore, those who are most vulnerable, the poor, are the ones forced to purchase the products which are most harmful for human consumption. This is one of the issues which I feel most strongly about in our society, where only those who can afford health are the ones receive it. This is not how it should be, but it is how our society currently functions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Samuel,

    I have also been grappling with the issue that it seems the "healthier" and "organic" products are expensive and inaccessible. This is just another example of how the gap is widening between the haves and the have nots.

    It would be revolutionary if an organization decided to reformulate their products to include only safe compounds while maintaining low costs and providing wide distribution. I feel it would be financially beneficial because a vast majority of consumers would gravitate towards their products once informed of the risks other products pose.

    -Elena

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really good point that the “gap between what companies produce, and the what the FDA give approval to“. Many consumers including myself don’t find what kind of ingredient their products contain. I want to think about what the public health professionals can suggest to restrict these companies.
    You also made a good point with “most vulnerable, the poor” more likely use “most harmful for human consumption”. The disparities in public health are one of major issue we should think about. I hope more people use healthier products, so the price of healthy product can decreases in the future.

    ReplyDelete